How much does it cost?
The cost of the Independent Living support service is divided between all Independent Living residents and the current charge is £6.29 per week /£27.25 per month. Whilst we endeavour to keep the support costs as low as possible, we recognise that some residents may find it difficult to pay the support charge. This support charge is not housing benefit eligible. Our Independent Living Support team and Welfare Benefits Officer will work with residents who are experiencing financial difficulty to explore all possible avenues of alternative funding.
Each resident is charged an Independent Living rent. These are social rents, set in accordance with government requirements and significantly below market rents. All residents pay an Independent Living charge to cover the service and there is usually a communal heating charge at most schemes. Tenants are offered a one-year starter tenancy followed by an assured (life time) tenancy.
As part of our Independent Living accommodation, we include a service which provides housing-related support for older people. Our Independent Living Team is responsible for delivering this to you. Each Independent Living Support Officer (ILSO) is responsible for delivering these services across a number of designated schemes. Your ILSO is your main point of contact regarding your scheme, tenancy and support.
What does it provide?
Your Independent Living Support Officers will deliver a mobile support service, visiting each scheme for varying lengths of time depending on the needs of the residents or the tasks to be completed.
The service offers residents a weekly wellbeing check, this may be a telephone/intercom call or visit.
The Independent Living Support Officers will offer help, advice and assistance to help you to live an Independent life within your home and community. Officers will enable you to access other support services e.g. budgeting support, befriending, occupational therapy or care services.
Our Independent Living Support Officers will be responsible for delivering the best possible service to you and your scheme.
In a nutshell, our Independent Living Service provides:
- A customer service team providing housing management support
- A small team of Independent Living Support Officers to act as key contacts
- Assistance in sustaining all aspects of your tenancy
- Individual 24 hour emergency pull cord in each property
- Respond to and carry out checks to the telecare community alarm system
- Risk-based tenancy and wellbeing reviews to help identify areas that you need help and support in
- Weekly welfare checks to ensure your safety and wellbeing
- Assistance in getting you support from other organisations and agencies where required
- Looking after the general running of your scheme, including safety, security and reporting communal repairs